Every leader knows that good salespeople can make a critical difference in an organization. Sales professionals drive our economy. But as they continue to hone skills, they have to focus on best practices as well. Selling in any environment is never easy. For quality sales professionals, it is all about taking advantage of opportunity and being in the right place at the right time.
Salespeople need to be hunters targeting both opportunity and success. This must be the mindset of every salesperson. The simple fact is that hunters earn more and produce more. The true sales hunter is the organization’s rainmaker and its lifeblood for revenue. And just as in any game, there are clear rules for achievement; the more they are applied, the better the sales professional becomes in everyday activities.
Here are Five Sacred Rules of the Hunter:
- People buy from people they know, like and trust: Relationship building is the cornerstone of sales performance. Salespeople who are superior listeners, who ask thought-provoking questions, and who are authentic as individuals, completely understand this rule. Finding common ground and doing what you say you are going to do takes effort but it is well worth it.
- Prospect all the time: It is not who you know or what you know. It is who knows you. Finding quality clients is never a 9-5 job. Meeting people anywhere and at any time drives sales.
- Choose sales targets carefully: A laser-like approach to seeking high potential prospects will turn an average professional into one who is successful. It is all about creating and constantly adapting within an entrepreneurial environment.
- Referrals are the magic of top sales professionals: Even the best salespeople need help from others. How well you connect with others is essential to both growth and opportunity. But remember your best referral source is always your last customer. Staying involved with clients is a great business practice. Remember they know, like and trust you.
- It is all about them, not about you: Everyone has a story. Give potential clients the chance to tell it. Your focus should be exclusively on their busines and needs, not yours or your products and services. It is how well you align to their business that differentiates the superior hunter.
Hunters always go after new business remembering these sacred rules. If all the sales processes are completed properly, results in sales will occur as well. Remember that hunters must also be educators, consultants, influencers and facilitators. By embracing all the roles, the likelihood of success increases exponentially!