21 Guiding Principles of High-Performance Sales Professionals
This is the second installment of Guiding Principles. Here is how we introduced them when we started:
In Sales, what is a Guiding Principle, you might ask? Some say they represent what you stand for. Others say that they provide a philosophy or context for how you and your sales organization strives to work and function. We will use ‘Guiding Principles’ as the ideas, behaviors and truths that drive and inspire you to succeed as a Sales Pro. As we look to the future, we have the opportunity to redefine what Sales should be and how we, as sales pros act. We have identified 21 principles. Here is the second chunk for you to reflect on.
Think about each. How well are YOU embracing these? Where would you like to focus?
7. Create Your Target List – You will not succeed unless you know where you are going and why. Do you have a well-defined and qualified target list of 50-100 prospect, along with the key individuals that you want to develop a relationship with?
8. Prepare and Research - Never go into a call without in-depth preparation. Always research your customer’s business and industry to see the world from their eyes. Always send a brief Agenda prior to the meeting as it communicates who you are and encourages the customer to prepare.
9. Be a Student of Questioning – Asking thought-provoking questions is the #1 skill to become a Business Advisor. Begin with the big picture — then explore the business issues, the problems, the needs, and the customer’s desired future.
10. Listen and Dig Deep - Listening intently is integral to effective questioning. Listening engages and connects. It is hard work, and humbling. It draws the customer towards you. It forces you to understand first, before considering possible solutions. The more you listen, the more likely the customer will buy.
11. Master Technology – The technology tools that exist today are ever changing. Properly applied they will enable you to be more productive in working with everyone on your team.
Hunter – Consultant – Influencer –Educator - Facilitator