16 Guiding Principles of High-Performance Sales Managers
For those just picking up on this, you might ask: What is a Guiding Principle? Some say they represent what you stand for. We will use ‘Guiding Principles’ as the ideas, behaviors and truths that drive and inspire you to succeed.
The Sales Manager is the single most important contributor to a Sales Team’s success. It is his/her role as Leader and Coach that ensures lasting and consistent results. How would you rate yourself on each of these? Which will you focus on going forward?
9. Celebrate and Encourage Daily - Seek out opportunities to recognize every team member every month for accomplishments large and small.
10. Recruit Year-Round - Become a talent magnet. Your ability to attract and retain salespeople who have ego-drive, empathy, and resiliency, will drive your future.
11. Be a Teacher and a Learner - You must model the way. People take their cues from you. Make learning a priority and a habit for yourself and for your team.
12. Make Joy and Fun part of your DNA – High energy, loving what you do and enthusiasm are contagious.
13. Sell Value - Selling Value is tough for many salespeople. Document and champion the value your organization offers. Salute those salespeople who articulate value best.
14. Study and Document the Sales Process – Study and document what your best people do and share those practices with the entire team.
15. Build alliances within your organization to enable delivering on customer expectations. Engage organization resources to remove roadblocks and solve problems.
16. DWYSYWD - Do What You Say You Will Do. As a leader, you must deliver on your promise, so be careful on what you promise. Delivering builds credibility and thereby trust.
Leader – Business Manager – Coach – Recruiter - Trainer